Calling all UIUC students, faculty, and staff interested in jumpstarting sustainability on campus! This special funding cycle specifically targets projects under $15,000 that promote environmental awareness, sustainable living, and environmental justice. All levels of sustainability are welcome, and we’re happy to help during the project development stage. Some project examples include:
- Residential hall green move-out
- Bike safety mini series
- Greening study abroad programs
- Environmental justice art show
- Open source course materials
- Zero waste campaign at an athletic event
How to apply
This specialized cycle has a one-step application process where applicants complete a proposal. Once completed, the committee will review each proposal and make a decision in Mid-April. Throughout the application process, applicants will have access to a student voting member for support and guidance. Applicants are welcome to meet one-on-one with designated SSC members before and after submitting a proposal. Please note that student applicants must have a faculty or staff advisor (SSC can help students find one if they need assistance).
- Submit Application: Complete the Jumpstart Application and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59 PM on April 1st. Applicants will know that their application has been obtained when they receive a confirmation email from SSC. If desired, applicants may meet with a student member to get feedback on their proposal before and/or after submitting your application. Please contact the student member that best aligns with the project’s topical area to setup an appointment.
- Funding Decision: The committee will notify applicants on whether a project has received funding or has been declined in Mid-April.
- Sign Funding Agreement & Request C-FOAPAL: Once SSC funds a project, each stakeholder signs a funding agreement. The financial manager will request a new C-FOAPAL string where the money will remain for the duration of the project. SSC funding lasts for two years.
- Submit Semesterly Reports: Each semester, project leaders will submit a semesterly report to email@example.com no later than 11:59 PM on the designated date.
- Fall 2019 due on January TBA, 2020
- Submit Final Report: Once the project is completed, project leaders will submit a final report to firstname.lastname@example.org in lieu of a semesterly report.
Inside the comittee’s evaluation process
SSC completes a comprehensive vetting process to ensure that each project has student involvement, positive environmental impact, and an ability to spark change. We receive more proposals than we are able to fund, currently awarding about 40% of the submissions. As a state university, we make our records, including contact information, available to the public. Additionally, SSC retains the right to defer projects to the next semester. If you have any questions about the application and/or evaluation process, please email email@example.com.